Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sharing web resources

Zero To Three (www.zerotothree.org) as a non-profit organisation deals with issues about infants/toddlers, parents and families, EC professionals and policy makers. They recognise the fact that the first three years of one's life has so much effects on the later years, hence Zero To Three help parents and EC professionals in bringing about children's development at this early stage.

 One of the news letters I read this week talked about how states can be involved in infants/toddlers education. Achieving and sustaining a quality program has been emphasized in our program, hence I thought it useful to use this check list in observing what states are doing for children in the US and to get ideas that I could use in my country in order to help raise the standard of infant/toddler care. Knowing states have a major role to play in achieving quality in early childhood field, EC professionals must maintain a flow of communication with the government to ensure issues are well handled.

This week I decided to work on traumatised (or war affected) children in our application. It aroused my interest when I saw an article on Zero to Three stating what some states are presently doing with regards to this issue. Though not necessarily children that were involved in war per se, but children who have been maltreated one way or the other are being catered for by some states. It gladdens my heart that some states train EC professionals for this task. Knowing that traumas cause developmental set backs for children, then it is worth tackling.




References
ZERO TO THREE (2013). Ensuring assessment services for all maltreated for all infants and toddlers. Retrieved from http://www.zerotothree.org/policy/docs/ensuring-assessments-and-services.pdf



ZERO TO THREE (2009). Infants and toddlers in the policy picture. Retrieved from  http://www.zerotothree.org/public-policy/building-early-childhood-systems/checklistsinglesmar5.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Toluwalope,

    Zero to Three is such a great resource, I use it often at work and refer parents to it as well to help conquer certain concerns or fears. I hope that you will find it useful as well.
    The topic that you chose is awesome. I find this extremely interesting but honestly had no idea on how to go about researching it. I would love to hear what you find out!

    ReplyDelete