Sunday, March 15, 2015

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community

Communities of practice have a huge impact on our knowledge content, and I am opportune to be part of some Early Childhood communities of practice.

Looking around my local environment and considering my project topic, I am looking forward to working with the Federal Ministry of Education, Nigeria. This ministry is of interest to me because its staff are the primary policy makers in Nigeria in terms of children education. Therefore, for me to make a change, I need to belong here. Though I did not see any position of my choice, I think I will function well as a Director of Early Childhood Department. Qualifications required could be a degree in Education and a minimum number of years of experience.

I have always admired ZeroToThree and her mission statement http://www.zerotothree.org/. I will like to work as a Graduate Intern in order to familiarise myself with their principles. What is required is to be a graduate student.

Head Start Cook Road, Houston, Texas is also a place I admire so much maybe because of their staffs' friendliness. I was there sometime last month for class observation. The centre manager was very open and ready to help as she patiently answered my numerous questions. I admire her position and wish I could function in that capacity someday in a federal facility like head start/early head start.

I am looking forward to working in a French child care centre also. It will be my pleasure to put together all knowledge and experience garnered from my 'International tour'  when I begin my child care centre in Nigeria. So, after my maternity leave, I will be picking up an internship position in a French school since my French  is not perfect yet. I will have to be fluent in French for me to pick up a teaching position and of course a degree in early childhood studies.

Finally, I would not mind being a research assistant in Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute http://fpg.unc.edu/. Though I dread research but I think this will be an opportunity for me to work closely with researchers. I like their mission statement and their organisational chart. I like their role as children development researchers.

3 comments:

  1. Toluwalope,

    Your have some lofty goals! I always say your only as limited as you make yourself. It sounds like you have great plans. I don't like research very much either, but I see the need for it as I see you do as well. Congrats on the baby.
    Zero to Three is an excellent institution that provides our field with a wealth of information.
    I always look at a company's mission statement too, I feel that is how I can see the heart of the company. Just as I feel a CoP should have a mission statement. I hope all your dreams come true it sounds like you will make an excellent director of early childhood. Stand tall and always know your worth!

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toluwalope,

    I really liked how you view education globally while also staying true to who you are and the things you're passionate about. I also think your post is a great example of using the concepts we have been learning thus far. Good Luck and Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toluwalope,
    I like your vision and will encourage you to gather so much as it will be helpful in future when you start your own back home. Your cultural lens seems to be wide enough, you will be welcome to Eastern Africa as well.
    I am also not a really friend to research and know it as one of the weakest links and would love opportunities to work on it, the fact that you are able to identify it means you will conquer it. The best of luck.
    Florence

    ReplyDelete