Thursday, March 27, 2014

Practicing Awareness in Microaggressions

Several times people have told me I don't look or talk like the tribe I come from In Nigeria. Probably because I am fair and speak good English. Though unintended on their part, yet I never saw it as an insult until I listened to Dr. Sue (Laureate, 2014).


Just 2weeks ago, My 4-year-old daughter came back from school to say Julie's mum had a baby girl. I asked who told her and she said, ''Julie told me''. Julie and my daughter are friends. I immediately sent a congratulatory message to Michelle, Julie's mum. I am yet to get a response. Michelle is Hebrew who migrated to the US and we presently live in France


As I dropped off my daughter in her class, I overheard a conversation between one of her taechers and a Parent. The Parent said she was not informed of an event which was to take place the next day. In response to this, the assistant teacher told her the notice has been on the door. And then quickly turned to other parents to say, ''don't mind her she(the parent) doesn't read''. I felt cold but couldn't react in the parent's place. The Parent is Black and the Assistant taeacher is French.


I am begining to be meticulous about people's comments and actions. But, what I have observed is that though Sue (Laureate, 2014) said most microagressions are unintended, the intended microagressions are usually obvious and easy to discern through the voice tone of the 'attacker'.






Reference
Laureate Education. (2014). Microagressions in Everyday Life. [Course Media]. Retrieved from Walden University Early Childhood Studies Portal

1 comment:

  1. Hello OTEH,

    In your second example of overhearing a conversation between another parent and educator, I too can relate as many instances of microaggressive behaviors I have observed this week have happened in our staff lounge or in the hallways when my co-workers talked with one another about families. It amazes me how quickly educators especially jump to conclusions about families and children, causing them to display microaggressive behaviors. While I hope they truly mean no harm to the children and families, this "venting" session as they typically call it is something we must all be consciously aware of and we must quickly help our coworkers identify these behaviors in hopes of preventing further aggressions. I wonder how often other educators are also seeing microaggressive behaviors displayed in faculty lounges? I feel this is something which would be beneficial for administrators to look into more in hopes of helping to curve bias and perspectives to more respectful, accepting attitudes.

    ReplyDelete